Exploration of Asana, Pranayama, & Yogic Diet with Alicia Waters & Gilda Goharian
Come explore how to structure a practice that is nourishing and sustainable for you. Rather than working from a template that assumes everyone needs the same things to thrive, we will build our concept of practice from the ground up – asking what are we practicing and why? We’ll take time to identify our deeply held values, assess our individual needs, and notice our present state. And then we’ll approach the practice as an opportunity to learn what serves us (and what doesn’t) through experience, through trial and error, and through maintaining awareness of what is showing up, without judgment.
We’ll discuss how to align our physical practice with our values, so that we can be committed and consistent about showing up. We’ll invite conversation about how to use practice as self-care, as community care, and as a way to build resiliency for difficult times.
For the purposes of this retreat, we’ll focus on the physical asana practice, pranayama (breathing practice), and diet & nutrition choices as a personal practice. The nutrition portion will focus on a mindful way of approaching food choices. We will cover:
- Solutions to the dilemma food can present in a way that is personally satisfying and in alignment with our deepest values
- liberating yourself from old thinking habits about food and enabling you to live more joyfully with food
- finding your healthy body weight
Topics will include:
- What is Mindfulness? And, ways to implement mindfulness into your daily life
- Diets and a Better Way
- Vegan? Vegetarian? Plant Based… or…? Introducing a whole food, plant based diet
- What is on your plate? (how to plan a healthy plant based diet, critical nutrients, supplementing, the “protein question“)
- Food as medicine (how to influence your health with mindful eating)
- The profound impacts of our food choices: acting in alignment with our humanity
- Cultivating kindness and compassion
Alicia believes in healing through relationship, in questioning the status quo, and in every human’s ability to realize our innate worth & dignity with practice. It is her work as a Vinyasa Yoga teacher that enables her to bring these deep convictions to life. Alicia holds the highest level of certification with Yoga Alliance US (E-RYT 500) and Yoga Alliance UK (SYT). Starting in 2010, she trained and mentored with Jennifer Yarro and Vidya Heisel of Frog Lotus Yoga for several years, culminating in leading and assisting over 20 intensive yoga teacher trainings in Bali, Spain, Costa Rica, and the US.
Gilda has been teaching yoga for 9 years and is on staff of several international yoga teacher trainings. She is passionate about teaching Vinyasa Flow and Budokon Yoga® as well as training new teachers. She is also a seasoned Thai Yoga Massage Practitioner and nutrition enthusiast with a focus of whole food, plant based nutrition in terms of optimal health, wellbeing, and athletic performance. She is currently based in northern Germany but you can catch her on our 200 hour FLY trainings and now our 1000 hour modules.